Praying for your kiddos is such a meaningful way to connect with God and look out for their well-being. Throughout history, moms and dads have turned to the tried-and-true wisdom in the Good Book to find words of encouragement and support for their little ones.
Whether things are going awesome or you’ve hit a snag, these sacred texts offer solid grounding to see your children through whatever life brings. Scripture lays the foundation for blessing your babies and painting a picture of parental prayers that covers every aspect of their character, success, and healthiness.
- The Bible offers a rich tapestry of verses for parents to pray over their children’s lives.
- Praying scripture can cover a child’s character, challenges, and future prosperity.
- Biblical prayers infuse life situations with spiritual insight and God’s promises.
Spiritual Growth and Guidance
As a parent, invoking divine wisdom and protection through prayer is a profound way to support your child’s life journey. The Bible provides an array of verses that serve as foundational pillars for these prayers.
- Ephesians 6:4 – “Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.” This scripture emphasizes the importance of guiding your children in the way of the Lord with patience and love, setting a foundation for their faith and values.
- Pray: Heavenly Father, you have entrusted these precious children to my care. I pray that I will raise them in a manner that is pleasing to you. May I train them in the way they should go by bringing them up in the instruction and discipline of the Lord. Guide me to cultivate hearts of love, obedience, and respect so that your blessings may be upon this family, Amen.
- Proverbs 22:6 – “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” It is your role to establish the groundwork for your child’s spiritual path that they will likely adhere to throughout their life.
- Pray: Lord, I pray that my children will abide by Your word and even when they are old, they will not turn from it.
- In Luke 2:52 – “And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.” The growth of Jesus in wisdom and stature reflects God’s desire for all children to mature both intellectually and physically. You can pray for your child’s development, asking for them to increase in wisdom as they grow.
- Pray: Father in Heaven, may my children grow in wisdom and stature in your eyes and in the eyes of others. May they mature in understanding of who you are and in favor with you. Guide them to continually seek your will and walk daily in your ways. May their young lives bring honor.
Protection and Safety
God’s word provides amazing promises of protection to stand on. These powerful words from Scripture remind us that no matter what, God has our children covered. Here are a few bible verses to pray for His shield of safety around your little ones:
- Psalm 91:1-2 – “Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.”
- Pray for your child to find refuge and safety in God’s presence, trusting in His power to protect.
- 2 Thessalonians 3:3 – “But the Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.” Your prayer can invoke the Lord’s promise of faithfulness to fortify and shield your children from harm.
- Pray: Gracious Lord, you who are faithful and keep your promises, we ask that you would strengthen and protect us from the evil one. You promised that you would deliver us from the evil one, and you alone are mighty to save. Thank you for your unfailing love. In the powerful name of Jesus, I pray, Amen.
- Psalm 91:11 – 1 “For He will order his angels to protect you wherever you go.” Ask the lord to cover your children with His angels as the scriptures state.
- Pray: Heavenly father, your word promises that You will command your angels to guard my children in all their ways. I pray that your angels would watch over them as they go about their day, protecting them from dangers seen and unseen as you alone have the power to keep them.
- Isaiah 54:13 – All your children will be taught by the Lord, and great will be their peace.” This verse assures you that “All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children.” This verse exemplifies the promise of divine peace and protection over your offspring. Praying for God’s protection can provide a spiritual shield around them.
- Pray: Dear Lord, your word promises that my children will be taught by you, and great shall be their peace. As I watch them grow, I take comfort knowing that your guidance and instruction will be with them wherever they go. May the assurance of your promise sustain and encourage them through every challenge and season of life, Amen.
Wisdom and Discernment
Focusing on specific virtues and character traits when praying for your children can be a powerful way to support their personal and spiritual growth. Pray that your children will gain wisdom and the ability to discern right from wrong.
- James 1:5 – “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
- Pray that your children learn to seek God’s wisdom for every situation and decision. Ask God to grant your children the wisdom to make sound decisions in every aspect of life.
- Proverbs 2:6 – “For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.” Ask God to grant your children understanding and insight from His Word.
- Pray: God our Father, I pray that from your mouth will come knowledge and understanding for my children. Reveal yourself and your truths to them through your Holy Word. May the revelation of who you are take root deeply in their hearts and minds, guiding their steps in wisdom according to your perfect will.
- Psalm 119:34 – “Give me understanding, that I may keep your law and observe it with my whole heart.” Pray they gain comprehension and apply God’s truths wholeheartedly.
- Pray: Heavenly Father, your word is a lamp unto my children’s feet and a light unto their path. I pray they would find understanding through studying your truths and commandments. May your precepts give them wisdom for each step of life’s journey.
- Daniel 1:17 – “As for these four youths, God gave them learning and skill in all literature and wisdom, and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.” Pray for increased learning capacity and ability to discern God’s will. Pray: Lord, I ask that you would give my children a spirit of wisdom, understanding, and discernment far beyond their years. May they grow in knowledge and favor with you, learning deeply from your word and ways.
- Pray: Dear Lord, I pray for my children as Daniel and his friends were given wisdom and insight far beyond their years. May they grow in favor with you and man through diligent study and obedience to your ways. Grant them discernment and understanding as they navigate each challenge and decision, always honoring your name.
- Proverbs 2:3-4 – “if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures.” Encourage them to actively seek wisdom from God.
- Pray: Father, I pray that my children would seek wisdom and understanding from your word with all their heart. May they recognize its greater value than any earthly treasure and search the scriptures diligently. Reveal yourself and your truths to them. Open their eyes to all you.
Compassion and Kindness
Your prayers can also encompass the development of a compassionate heart and the ability to show kindness to others. Reflect on verses such as Colossians 3:12 as a foundation for your prayers, seeking that your children embody love and care in their interactions.
- Colossians 3:12 – “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” This verse is encouraging Christians to take on certain virtuous characteristics and attributes in how they treat others.
- Pray: Father in Heaven, I pray my children take to heart your word’s gentle call to clothe themselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. May these fruits of the spirit radiate from them each day as a reflection of your unending love. Guide them to express your grace in all their interactions, just as you have shown such mercy to us, in Your Son’s Name, Amen.
Strength and Courage
Request that your children are blessed with strength and courage. The Bible encourages these traits, and you can use references like Joshua 1:9 to ask for courage in the face of adversity and strength to persevere through challenges.
- Joshua 1:9 – “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
- Pray: Dearest Lord, your promise to Joshua rings true for my children as well – be strong and courageous, for you will lead them in all they do. I pray they do not lose heart or be dismayed, trusting your presence and power to guide their steps. May the assurance of your mighty hand upon them fill their hearts with boldness to walk in faith wherever your path may lead.
Confidence and Conviction
Pray for your children to be confident and filled with conviction for the Lord. Psalm 139:14 reminds us that our children are fearfully and wonderfully made so that my children will have a healthy self-image no matter what others say about them.
- Psalm 139:14 – “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” The psalmist recognizes their own soul understands deeply just how skillfully and perfectly God formed each individual person. It’s a declaration of praise for God’s amazing creative work.
- Pray: Heavenly Father, as your Psalm reminds me, my children are each fearfully and wonderfully made. I pray they may always know the deep truth of their own inherent worth, created by your skilled hand. Guide them to see themselves as you see them, precious works of your love.
As a parent, interceding through prayer for your child’s welfare in the midst of life’s challenges is a powerful act of love and faith. You can address specific struggles your child might face with targeted prayers for adversity, health, and relationships. Look to scriptures that provide hope and resilience to bolster their spirits and remind them that they are not alone in their struggles.
- Ephesians 6:10 – “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might.”
- Pray: Gracious Father, as your word says, true strength comes from you alone. I lift up my children and pray that through all of life’s battles, they may stand strong in your mighty power. Give them courage each day to face whatever challenges come their way, finding their resilience in you, Lord.
- Ephesians 6:11-12 – “Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
- Pray: Heavenly Father, your word reminds me that my children face spiritual battles each day against forces I cannot see. I pray they take hold of the full armor you provide – the belt of truth, breastplate of righteousness, and shoes of peace. Equip them with all they need to stand strong in the evil day and withstand every scheme the enemy brings against them.
Health and Healing
Physical and emotional health challenges can be frightening for a child.
- James 5:14-15 – “Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.”
- Pray: Heavenly Father, your word assures me that the fervent prayers of your people avail much. I lift up my children and ask that your healing hand would be upon them when illness strikes. Send others to lay hands upon them and call upon your mighty name, that in Jesus they would find full restoration of body and spirit.
- Jeremiah 17:14 – “Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise.”
- Pray: Merciful God, I bring my precious children before your throne once more. As a mother, my heart aches to see the struggles they face each day. Only you have the power to truly heal and protect what I hold most dear. Lord, I ask that you watch over my sons and daughters, and save them from all harm. Restore their souls when weary, and fill their lives with your unending grace, that through you they may find peace and joy always. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Peer Pressure and Friendships
Your child will face various social challenges, including the influence of peers. Prayer can provide a protective cover over your child’s friendships and choices. By praying biblical wisdom like that found in Proverbs 13:20, you ask that your child be surrounded by wise and positive influences that steer them away from harmful behaviors. Guidance on which scriptures to pray for your child’s social challenges can be discovered at sites dedicated to prayers for children.
- Proverbs 13:20 – “Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.”
- Father, I lift my children up to you. As they grow and develop friendships of their own, give them wisdom far beyond their years to choose companions who will uplift them. May they shun those who would lead them astray, and instead be drawn to others who will encourage their best selves. Guide them to walk in your righteous ways, dear Lord, and may the friends they find along that path help them on their journey to becoming all you created them to be. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Education and Learning
Praying for your children’s future success is a way of entrusting their potential and aspirations to God. Scripture offers powerful guidance for praying over different aspects of their lives.
- James 1:5 – “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.”
- Pray: Lord, s my children navigate this world and all its challenges, I know there will be many times when they lack wisdom. Please lay it upon their hearts even now to lift their prayers to you whenever they feel uncertain of the path ahead. Fill them with confidence knowing that you generously give guidance and understanding to all who ask. May they grow each day closer to you, the ultimate source of wisdom, and find in you all they need to face whatever comes. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
- Proverbs 22:6 – “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
- Pray: Lord, your word declares that when we train children in the way they should go, when they are old they will not depart from it. I lift my precious children to you now, praying they will be surrounded by those who guide them in your truth and love. May teachers, pastors, family and friends all play a role in faithfully instructing the young hearts you’ve entrusted to me, that as they grow they would grow deep roots in your word which will sustain them for all the days of their lives, with Jesus in our hearts we pray, Amen.
Career and Purpose
Your children’s career and purpose can find a strong foundation in prayers that focus on their talents and the calling God has for them. Reflect on Jeremiah 29:11 which speaks to a future filled with hope—pray that your children discover their vocation and pursue it knowing they are guided by His plans.
- Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” Encourage your children to live with intention and faithfulness. Jeremiah 29:11 speaks of a hopeful future planned by God, which reassures you that your children’s lives are under His careful guidance.
- Pray: Dear Lord, as I watch my children grow each day, I take comfort knowing your plans for them are for good and not for harm. You alone see the future you have designed for their lives – a future filled with hope and purpose. I pray they would seek your face in all their ways, trusting in your promise that you will give them a future and a hope even when the path ahead seems uncertain. Guide them by your hand and bless their steps according to your will. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
Godly relationships are a cornerstone for your children’s well-being and success. Pray for companions and mentors who reflect Christ’s love and wisdom into their lives.
- Proverbs 13:20 – “Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” When praying, consider the essence of Proverbs 13:20, which emphasizes the importance of wise associations, and pray that your children are surrounded by individuals who help them flourish in faith and life.
- Pray: Heavenly Father, I pray that you guide my children to walk alongside those who are wise and discerning. May they learn life’s deepest lessons from peers whose hearts are set on you. And should they ever start to stray toward foolish company, I ask you gently steer them back onto the path of understanding. May their friendships and influences always cultivate wisdom, in Jesus’ name, Amen.
- John 15:5 – “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.”
- Pray: Heavenly Father, I lift my children to you and pray that through your Holy Spirit, they would remain close to Jesus – the true vine. May they abide in his love and teaching so that their lives will bear good fruit which brings you glory. Guide them to stay connected to Christ as the source of their strength, purpose and joy. In His precious name, Amen.
- Psalm 32:8 – “I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.”
- Pray: Dearest Lord, your word promises that you will faithfully instruct and counsel my children as they walk this journey. I ask for your loving guidance and wisdom for their lives each and every day. May they know the peace that comes from seeking your face with all their heart. Teach them your ways and light their path, that they may follow you wholeheartedly, Amen.
- Romans 8:38-39 – “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
- Pray: Almighty Father, your love for my children knows no bounds and will never fail. I find comfort knowing that nothing in all of creation can separate them from your unending grace and provision. May the truth of your unfailing love empower them to face each day confident in your promise of eternal security. I pray they would experience the depth of your love in Christ Jesus, in Christ, Amen.
Birthdays and Celebrations
On birthdays and celebrations, scriptures that emphasize God’s intentions and blessings can be particularly meaningful. Pray these passages over your child to affirm the joy and purpose in their life’s journey.
- Jeremiah 29:11 – “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
- Pray: Dear Lord, your thoughts towards my children are of plans to prosper them and not to harm them. As I lift them up to you, I pray that you will fulfill your good purposes for their lives and lead them each step of the way. Reveal to them the hope and future you have designed specifically for their lives according to your perfect will.
- Psalm 91:16 – “With long life I will satisfy them and show them my salvation.”
- Pray: Heavenly Father, your word says that with long life you will satisfy my children and show them your salvation. I pray they would truly know and experience your faithfulness in their lives. May they be filled with your joy and walk in your truth for many years, safe in the shadow of your wing.
Transitions and New Beginnings
Transitions, such as starting school or moving to a new place, are significant for a child. Use these verses to pray for courage, peace, and guidance as your child embarks on new beginnings.
- Deuteronomy 31:6 – “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- Pray: Dear Jesus, help my children to be strong and courageous and remind them You are always with them so that they may never be overcome by fear. Lead them by your hand and uphold them with your righteous right hand, no matter what challenges they may face.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 – “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.”
- Pray: Almighty God, I lift up my precious children to you and pray that they would learn to fully trust in you with all their hearts, rather than relying only on their own understanding as they grow. Guide them by your Spirit to continually seek your will for their lives, and reveal the paths they should take, that they may walk in your truth and experience your blessings.
- Numbers 6: 24-26 – “The LORD bless you and keep you. The LORD make his face shine on you and be gracious to you. The LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace.”
- Pray: Dear God, I ask that you bless and keep them; shine Your face upon them and be gracious to them; turn Your face toward them and give them peace and prosperity all the days of their lives.
Prayers From the Psalms
When seeking comfort or guidance in prayer for your children, the Book of Psalms offers profound words to use. While the Psalms are a deeply personal scripture passage, they can also serve as a universal prayer for all God’s children, encompassing every aspect of human experience with grace and providence.
Each Psalm provides a different facet of prayer:
- Psalm 46:1 – “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
- Pray: Lord, be the refuge and strength for my child in times of trouble. In Christ all things, Amen
- Psalm 121:3-4 – “He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep.”
- Pray: Thank you, God, for Your vigilance over my child, never sleeping nor slumbering. In Jesus name, Amen.
- Psalm 145:1 – “I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever.” This verse is a call to bless God’s name forever.
- Pray: Lord, all praise goes to you. May my child extol Your name, recognizing Your eternal goodness for all of his days, In Jesus almighty name, Amen.
Heritage and Reward
God’s word describes your children as a gift, emphasizing that they are to be valued as part of God’s generous blessings to you.
- Psalms 127:3 – “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward.”
- Pray: Dearest Lord, your word reminds me that children are indeed a gift from above. I pray for my sons and daughters that you will watch over and protect them as they grow. May they walk closely by your side and find in you the source of all joy, purpose and fulfillment. Guide me to raise them in your nurturing ways and in the admonition of the Lord, Amen.
Faith and Devotion
You are encouraged to pray for your child to have a devoted heart toward God. Here are some verses to put in your heart and pray:
- Psalm 145:1 – “I will exalt you, my God and King, and praise your name forever and ever. 2 Every day I will praise you, and extol your name forever and ever.” This verse supports you praising God wholeheartedly. Pray for your children to always praise God forever and ever too.
- Mighty King above all kings, I lift my children’s lives into your loving hands. May they join King David to know you as their God and ruler of all, and bless your holy name with fervent praise. Fill their tender hearts with songs of worship so that from youth they walk in your light, extolling your goodness forevermore. In Jesus’ precious name I pray, Amen.
- Jeremiah 29:13 – “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” This verse speaks of God’s promise that when people seek him wholeheartedly and with their full devotion, they will find him. It emphasizes God’s faithfulness and desire to be found by those who earnestly pursue a relationship with him.
- Pray: Eternal Father, your word declares that if we seek you with all our heart, we will find you. As I pray for my dear children, I ask that you place within each of them a yearning to know you more. May their hearts’ deepest desire be to seek your face in all things. Let them experience the joy and peace that comes from an intimate relationship with you, their God. Guide them towards you with your unfailing love, now and forever. Amen.
- Matthew 22:37 – “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’”
- Pray: Lord, may my children come to love you with all their heart, soul, mind and strength as Jesus taught. As they grow, instill in their hearts a passion for you that runs so deep – may knowing, adoring, and obeying you be the driving force in their young lives. Help me guide them towards that intimate relationship with you. In your holy name I pray, Amen.
- Hebrews 11:6 – “And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.”
- Pray: Lord, I pray that my children would come to know the blessing of living by faith. May they see in your Word the promises of your faithfulness, and believe with all their hearts that you are a rewarder of those who earnestly seek you. Give them eyes to see the unseen and walk this life trusting fully in you, through your Son, Jesus, Amen.
Blessings and Benedictions
When you pray blessings and benedictions over your children, you invoke divine protection, guidance, and goodness upon them. These prayers are a way for you to wish your children well, not just in the present but for the future as well.
- Num 6:24-26 – “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.”
- Pray: Lord, I lift my precious children to you and ask that you would bless them and keep them. May your face shine upon them and bring them peace – the peace that surpasses all understanding. Instill in their hearts a revelation of your goodness and grace. And as I release them into your care, may the knowledge of your blessing and nearness sustain them. In Jesus Almighty and Precious Name, Amen.
- Psalm 23:4 – “Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.”
- Pray: Father, may my children know you as their Good Shepherd – gently leading them, meeting all their needs, and keeping them safe even in the valley. Lord, I pray your rod and staff would comfort them, and your presence would be so near should they ever walk through darkness, in Jesus Name, Amen.
God’s Blessings for Your Children
In the ups and downs of life’s seasons, discovering verses to lift your children can be both a comforting hug and a powerful spiritual backup. From asking for protection and guidance to claiming promises and specific good things, God’s word resonates with heartfelt requests for each growth stage.
Considering all the choices and challenges facing our kiddos, these biblical prayers are a way to entrust them to God’s loving care. His words don’t just disappear into thin air. Lifting your littles up through scripture is an act of love that arms them spiritually and reflects the hope that their path unfolds under divine direction.
Frequently Asked Questions
Praying for your children can bring comfort and peace of mind. Here, you’ll find specific scriptures that address various concerns, from protection to education and guidance.
What are some encouraging scriptures to pray over my children?
You can pray for your children’s strength and courage using verses like Joshua 1:9, or for their growth in love and understanding with Philippians 1:9-10.
What Psalm is often used for praying over children’s safety and wellbeing?
Many parents use Psalm 91 to pray for their children’s safety, as it speaks of God’s protection and faithfulness.
How can I use Scripture to pray for my child’s education and success?
Scriptures such as Proverbs 2:6 and James 1:5 can be prayed over for your child’s education and success, asking for wisdom and knowledge from God.
Which verses are suggested for blessing my child during family prayers?
During family prayers, verses like Numbers 6:24-26 and 3 John 1:2 can be used to bless your child, wishing them peace, grace, and well-being.
How do I find Bible passages to pray for a child who has gone astray?
Look for passages of restoration and forgiveness like Luke 15:11-32, the Parable of the Prodigal Son, to pray for a child who has gone astray, trusting in the redeeming power of God’s love.
What is a powerful biblical prayer I can recite for my children’s protection?
For your children’s protection, consider praying Ephesians 6:11-18, which focuses on the Armor of God, a metaphor for the spiritual defenses one needs against life’s adversities.